I strongly believe that there is an unmet need in terms of how students get their laundry done here at UF. I have observed this problem on campus for a while as well as living through the struggle to do laundry myself. I see the most opportunity targeting underclassmen in college, simply because they are the most likely to use the service. I myself am an underclassmen and I say that we are the most likely to use the service because of a few key reasons, first being our living situations. Most freshman in colleges across the country live in community dorms with their fellow students, sharing things such as bathrooms and laundry machines with one another. Sharing with other students makes laundry an almost all-day event in some cases, having to wait for a machine to open up or keep an eye on your clothes so they don't get stolen. The solution to this problem is a cost-friendly laundry service that caters to the students needs to help them solve their unmet problem of laundry. With the use of good location and a “hybrid-like” store approach this service can cater to any students need. For example, the service that I would like to open would be an in-store laundry service with a delivery option as well as folding options for students. This variety of options given to the students allows them to choose the price range that they are comfortable with. Each student can choose wether they want to walk into the store and do their own laundry for very cheap or throw a couple extra bucks and have their laundry both picked up and delivered, maybe even folded if they are willing to spend more. These options make students feel as if they are in charge of the situation and makes them more comfortable using our business. For example, there is a laundry service on campus here at UF that does exactly the opposite of what my services would be like. They have no in store option, the fees implemented with delivery make the purchase expensive alone, not to mention they charge you for folding your clothes yet do not give an option to receive your clothes unfolded. With minimal competition and a population of 50,000 students on campus, the opportunities to change the way UF students does their laundry are endless, I’m 75% sure this is a profitable opportunity.
1. Underclammen student living in a dorm
-How often is it necessary to do your laundry in college?I have to do my laundry about once every two to three weeks, depending on how much clothes that I have left to wear
-Have you ever done your own laundry before college?
No, all my life my parents did my laundry for me, all I had to do was throw my dirty clothes in my hamper and they did the rest for me
-How convenient is it for you to do your laundry?
Not convenient at all, I live in a dorm and the laundry room is in the basement. Considering I happen to live on the 5th floor, it is really a hassle having to carry all of my clothes up and down the stairs to get to my room
-Is the cost of doing your laundry expensive?
Doing my laundry in the dorms happens to be very cheap, it is only a couple bucks every time I want to wash/dry my clothes
-Have you ever tried using an alternative to doing your own laundry such as a service?
Yes, I tried a laundry service that my friend recommended to me one time
-How was your experience using a laundry service?
It was really convenient, they were able to come pick up and drop off my laundry for me but it was really expensive so I decided not to use them again
-Can you see yourself using a laundry service in the future?
For sure, if I am able to find one that is as convenient but a little cheaper it would save me alot of time
Reflection: I wanted my first prototypical customer to be in my anticipated direct target range
and I was very satisfied with the results. I learned that it really is tough for underclassmen to do laundry in college based on both the inconvenience and the high cost of service that are available to them. I am confident that if I were to interview all people within that target range the results would be very similar to my prototypical customer for most interviewees.
and I was very satisfied with the results. I learned that it really is tough for underclassmen to do laundry in college based on both the inconvenience and the high cost of service that are available to them. I am confident that if I were to interview all people within that target range the results would be very similar to my prototypical customer for most interviewees.
2.Student with Full-Time Job
-How often is it necessary to do your laundry?
I need to do it very often, sometimes once a week. I have a lot of clothes that I use for work
every day that needs to be cleaned often.
-How have you been doing your laundry thus far?
Ive been doing it by myself for a while. The consistent need to do it kind of forces me to do it by myself even though I'm not very fond of it.
-How convenient is it for you to do your laundry?
I live in an apartment that has my own machine right now so it is pretty convenient. However this is the first year that I'm living in a place with my own machine though, it was much more of a hassle previously.
-Is the cost of doing your laundry expensive?
No, the machine came with the apartment so all I have to pay for is the detergent and fabric softener really.
-Have you ever tried using an alternative to doing your own laundry such as a service?
No, I wanted to when I was younger but the only option was too expensive.
-Would you ever consider trying a laundry service?
-How have you been doing your laundry thus far?
Ive been doing it by myself for a while. The consistent need to do it kind of forces me to do it by myself even though I'm not very fond of it.
-How convenient is it for you to do your laundry?
I live in an apartment that has my own machine right now so it is pretty convenient. However this is the first year that I'm living in a place with my own machine though, it was much more of a hassle previously.
-Is the cost of doing your laundry expensive?
No, the machine came with the apartment so all I have to pay for is the detergent and fabric softener really.
-Have you ever tried using an alternative to doing your own laundry such as a service?
No, I wanted to when I was younger but the only option was too expensive.
-Would you ever consider trying a laundry service?
Probably, now that Im working I have more money to spend, especially because doing laundry
is something I really don't enjoy. Plus with my busy schedule it would be a huge help for me if
I were able to have it picked up and dropped off.
Reflection: I decided to shy away from my first prototypical customer and lean more towards the
upperclassmen on campus that I know both have more money and have less time. I was not surprised at the responses in the interviews, I understand that people have little time in their days to do something they really don't want to do.
All the time, Im constantly working out or at practice so I sweat through a lot of clothes.
-How have you been doing your laundry thus far?
upperclassmen on campus that I know both have more money and have less time. I was not surprised at the responses in the interviews, I understand that people have little time in their days to do something they really don't want to do.
3. Athletes
-How often is it necessary to do your laundry? All the time, Im constantly working out or at practice so I sweat through a lot of clothes.
-How have you been doing your laundry thus far?
-How convenient is it for you to do your laundry?
Depends, all my sports related clothes like my uniform are taken care of by the team, but my
personal clothes are the hard part.
-Is it the cost of doing your laundry expensive?
Not really, the machines I use are pretty cheap. The cost of doing it isn't really the problem, I
just don't really have the time.
-Have you ever tried using an alternative to doing your own laundry such as a service?
No, I don't even know if there is one on campus, if so I've never heard of it
-Would you ever consider trying a laundry service?
Yeah, If I were able to find one Id definitely use it. Id like for my laundry to get done often not
in chunks when I need it like my schedule allows.
Reflection: I really didn't think of athletes as an option until after my previous interviews, but I'm
glad i did. I think that the time schedule that athletes on campus are accustomed to leaves them very minimal time to do it themselves.
Summary: The opportunity for this laundry service is definitely still evident with even more of a target market than I expected. Initially I thought that targeting underclassmen should be a priority but after the interviews I realized that students on campus such as upperclassmen with busy schedules and athletes are both very probably target markets for the service I would be providing. I think the thing that will make the opportunity a success is the versatility of the company. Being able to offer students different types of services to fit the needs of both their conveniency and their price range makes it possible to get business from all types of students. Also, being that this company is specific to the point where I pinpoint UF students, It gives me a target market that is more comfortable for my type of business. What I mean by this is that the market size at UF is perfect for me to be able to have a smaller sized store but still be able to reach out to a wide variety of people. The need to do laundry is evident for every student here at UF, regardless of age or financial status. Creating a service such as mine that works to adhere to students needs to help them has tremendous potential.
Depends, all my sports related clothes like my uniform are taken care of by the team, but my
personal clothes are the hard part.
-Is it the cost of doing your laundry expensive?
Not really, the machines I use are pretty cheap. The cost of doing it isn't really the problem, I
just don't really have the time.
-Have you ever tried using an alternative to doing your own laundry such as a service?
No, I don't even know if there is one on campus, if so I've never heard of it
-Would you ever consider trying a laundry service?
Yeah, If I were able to find one Id definitely use it. Id like for my laundry to get done often not
in chunks when I need it like my schedule allows.
Reflection: I really didn't think of athletes as an option until after my previous interviews, but I'm
glad i did. I think that the time schedule that athletes on campus are accustomed to leaves them very minimal time to do it themselves.
Summary: The opportunity for this laundry service is definitely still evident with even more of a target market than I expected. Initially I thought that targeting underclassmen should be a priority but after the interviews I realized that students on campus such as upperclassmen with busy schedules and athletes are both very probably target markets for the service I would be providing. I think the thing that will make the opportunity a success is the versatility of the company. Being able to offer students different types of services to fit the needs of both their conveniency and their price range makes it possible to get business from all types of students. Also, being that this company is specific to the point where I pinpoint UF students, It gives me a target market that is more comfortable for my type of business. What I mean by this is that the market size at UF is perfect for me to be able to have a smaller sized store but still be able to reach out to a wide variety of people. The need to do laundry is evident for every student here at UF, regardless of age or financial status. Creating a service such as mine that works to adhere to students needs to help them has tremendous potential.
Brian, I really like your opportunity. As I went down through your questions, I found myself to be a possible customer to your service. I lived off campus but near the school and I would have benefitted from a similar service as such. I could definitely see this kind of service be beneficial to not only those in on a school campus but as well in apartment complexes that may not offer a laundry room services. I think by you providing more options than the ordinary laundry services is what will make you stand out from the rest.
ReplyDelete