Friday, November 3, 2017

Reading Reflection No. 2

How to Fail at Almost Everything and Still Win Big, Scott Adams
  • What was the general theme or argument of the book? 
The theme of this book was very different from any other that ive ever read. Instead of a made up story that an author uses his imagination to create, this story tells true events in Adams' life that he hopes people can find value through. He hopes that people will be able to learn from his failures, and identifies things that are valueable to sucess that are often overlooked, such as smart friends. He stresses the importance of pushing yourself to your limit, going above and beyond what you think you are capable of. The main theme i interpreted in this book is that life is full of failures and with every failure comes something valuable, it is our job to find the value in each failure 
  • How did the book, in your opinion, connect with and enhance what you are learning in ENT 3003? 
I thought the book connected very well with ENT 3003. For example, the time consuming and tedious assignments that we have every week eventually become alot to handle, in this book i was able to find ways to boost my mental ability and help me work harder when the times get tough. Also, it taught me alot about time management and the importance of being consistant, which are two very important qualities to suceeed im this class 
  • If you had to design an exercise for this class, based on the book you read, what would that exercise involve?
If i had to design an exersize for this class, it would have to do with evaluating what you think is the niggest failure of your life so far. I would design it so the person has to talk about everything, what made them fail, what the outcome was, what they think they could have done better. Although some people may think of things well in the past, evaluating failure are extremely important and having a exersize for that in this class would be perfect 
  • What was your biggest surprise or 'aha' moment when reading the book? In other words, what did you learn that differed most from your expectations? 
The biggest 'aha' moment was when Adams was talking about Passion. I had always thought of passion as the driving force behind sucessful businesspeople, especially entrepreneurs. However, Adams provides reasons and examples statung that people should look alot less for passion on their Search for sucess. An example he gave was that passionate people are more likely to take unrealistic chances because of their immense passion, leading them to have a higher possibility of failure. He goes on to give alternative things to boost energy and moral, but I was diffinetly surprised when he basically told the readers to forget about passion 

1 comment:

  1. Brian,
    I was actually thinking of reading this book but then decided to go with another. Through your analysis of it I think I may still go ahead and read it, it seems interesting. I like your idea for an ENT exercise based on the book. People are generally made to feel to hide their mistakes and not to talk about them openly. However, I feel that we learn the most about ourselves from our mistakes. In an entrepreneurial perspective, this exercise is vital to learning what went wrong and how to grow your business idea.

    ReplyDelete