Friday, November 10, 2017

23A-Your Ventures Unfair Advantage

1. Marketing Experience: I have experience doing marketing, such as social media for multiple companies
  • Valuable: Marketing is extremely vital for a businesses growth, this is extremely vital 
  • Rare: This skill isn't really that rare, but i like to think i kind of have my own style or approach to things 
  • Inimitable: Although the usage of marketing is surely imitable, I believe the style that I use is somewhat inimitable 
  • Non-substitutable: I could easily pay someone to cover the marketing aspect of the company, but that would waste money on something i actually enjoy doing 
2.  Everlasting Market 
  • Valuable: with thousands of new students coming to campus each year, the market will likely never die out as long as there are students on campus
  • Rare: this is relatively rare, most companies have to create a new market for them to reach every year, being located on campus basically does that for us
  • Inimitable: No other company in my segment has the benefit of new students coming to campus each year 
  • Non-substitutable: Most companies die out due to the lack of people in their market
3. Greek Life Affiliation 
  • Valuable: This gives me instant connection to thousands of students across campus 
  • Rare: Greek Life Affiliation is definitely not rare, but that it for sure helps the business
  • Inimitable: It would be very hard for someone to find a better way to connect with so many students as a whole
  • Non-substitutable: I find this to be non-substitutable, i think having access to thousands of similar students across campus and knowing what appeals to them is invaluable
4. Entrepreneurship Experience 
  • Valuable: This is extremely valuable because i have previous knowledge on what it takes to make it as an entrepreneur 
  • Rare: This experience is not rare, but something that is very valuable 
  • Inimitable: This could be easy to imitate, but I think the hardest part about this is going out and doing things that gives you experience as an entrepreneur 
  • Non-substitutable: This resource is not substitutable
5. Financial Capital 
  • Valuable: You would not be able to start up a company like mine without having the capital 
  • Rare: This may be rare, not everyone has the capital they need to start up a business 
  • Inimitable: This could be imitated, a lot of people either have or know ways they can get enough capital to start a business 
  • Non-substitutable: You could go to investors or take out a loan to get the capital you need
6. Interpersonal Skills
  • Valuable: Being able to create good connections with people, especially customers is extremely important 
  • Rare: This resource is not rare, many people have good people skills 
  • Inimitable: Its hard to imitate someone who is good with people, for some it just comes naturally 
  • Non-substitutable: There is no substitute for good connections with people, especially in business 
7. Education 
  • Valuable: The education I am currently receiving in Business is vital to my future as a businessman
  • Rare: This resource is not rare, many people go to college and receive a degree in business 
  • Inimitable; Although education can be obtained anywhere, I think what UF offers is very hard to imitate in terms of education
  • Non-substitutable: This resource is substitutable, I think people could be well educated without going to school nowadays 
8. Customer-First Mentality 
  • Valuable: This mentality is important to have in business, this will allow me to receive great feedback and create a beneficial word of mouth 
  • Rare: This may be rare, alot of companies to not care about their customers let alone put them first 
  • Inimitable: In my line of business this would be very hard to imitate because there is no other competition that offers the same options as me
  • Non-substitutable: This resource is not substitutable 
9. Genderless Demographic 
  • Valuable: Not having to appeal to any gender is very valuable 
  • Rare: This is not rare 
  • Inimitable: This is easy to imitate, a lot of companies appeal to more than just one gender 
  • Non-substitutable: This resource is non-substitutable 
10. Maximum Conveniency 
  • Valuable: Being able to adhere to any students needs and provide them with the most convenient experience will be vital
  • Rare: There are no other companies with this resource so it is rare 
  • Inimitable: It could be imitated, but that would take hiring people to be willing to drive places for your customers
  • Non-substitutable: I could hire people to drive for me but that is only something I would do if the businesses grows to that point 
My top resource is #1. I think that the service plan and idea will be able to sell itself, I think it is a good enough service as to where people will want to use it if they are exposed to it. Since I am experienced in Marketing, it will be easier for me to reach my market and the people that I am targeting; that is extremely valuable. 
 

2 comments:

  1. Hey Brian,

    I enjoyed reading through your list of competitive advantages... it was very thorough and easy to read. The trait that I relate to the most is #8 “Customer-First Mentality”. I agree that this trait is rare and irreplaceable. It is important to establish a good culture from the inception of a company, and it falls upon the responsibility of leadership to ensure the health of the culture. However, after reading through your list, I’m sure that you will have no problem implementing this

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brian,

    I think its great that you listed "genderless competencies" as one of your competitive advantages. This is something I haven't thought about before and I think it fits with your idea perfectly. It also plays into today's cultural ideas about not labeling others, not that your idea necessarily would but it's definitely an advantage to have over other companies.

    ReplyDelete